Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

Why did you take this course and what do you hope to learn?

• This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Sean Kheraj.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Sean Kheraj.
    Connor Pantaleo
    Participant

I have always been interested in technology, it’s advancements, and it’s impacts. Having developed a passion for history throughout my academic career seeing these two topics presented in a course seemed too good to be true. I am interested to learn more about how technology can impact the field of history. I hope to gain a better understanding of how these new technologies can aid in my research as well as the future research of others.

Yuan
    Participant

Hello, my name is (Annabella) Yuan. The reason why I took this course was initially because I was always interested in studying about histories. When I was looking over the course description, I realized that it covers the digital aspect as well, so I wanted to explore and learn more. All through the course, I hope that I can gain the essential skills when working with various technologies, and enhancing my critical thinking skills through doing the assignments.

Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

This course is pretty much a mix of two interests: history and digital technologies. Sounds like you’re in the right course for your interests.

Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

Annabella, my hope is that everyone will leave this course will new skills and the ability to apply those skills to critical thinking about the past.

Charles Reynolds
    Participant

Hello. I am CJ Reynolds. This is my fourth year in University and this will hopefully be the last History course I need for my degree.

Part of why I took this course over other History courses is because I wanted to take something a bit different from other History courses. Rather than study world history, Digital History seems to invite learning and understanding concepts and ideas that are seldom discussed in my past History courses. I also find the prevalence of technology and how we use it to be vital after graduation. I’m hoping that understanding technology and the way history interacts with technology will help me in the future with whatever profession I end up in.

I am hoping to learn how to design and utilize websites for my future tasks and for establishing information and history in a way that demonstrates my technological understanding. Learning how to make websites and podcasts open up ways for me to record information or study and prepare for assignments and tasks in the future. In addition, being able to build a website will help demonstrate my capabilities to others when search or trying to find a job.

I also hope to learn how to understand and create effective sources and sites. The readings for this weekend have already started giving me a good idea of this. For example, Cohen and Rosenzweig’s Introduction: The Promises and Perils of Digital History discusses the seven qualities (capacity, accessibility, flexibility, diversity, manipulability, interactivity, and hypertextuality) and the five hazards (quality, durability, readability, passivity, and inaccessibility) which I should be considering when designing sites and reading and organizing info. Information like that will hopefully help me analyze digital information and historical information on digital media.

Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

Welcome to the course, CJ!

Website development and podcasting are both on our agenda for this year. One of my goals for this course is to offer you and the other students the opportunity to develop some preliminary digital skills that you can take with you when you finish the course.

Christina Sanita
    Participant

Hello Everyone!

My name is Christina and I am in my fourth year of undergraduate studies in Art History. I took this course because I am enrolled in a Public History Certificate Program and not only was it an elective option, but it seemed super interesting. I cant wait to get started and learn about the impacts of technology on history!

Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

Hi, Christina!

Welcome to the course! This course should complement your public history certificate well.

veronicapetta
    Participant

I took this course because two years ago when I was in HIST 2500: Canadian History I remember being told about it and to me, it looked extremely interesting. The digital technological advancements in the world today have only become more and more immense; so I figured there is no better way to know more about it than to take a course where I can physically interact with what we will be learning about. As a Concurrent Education student I am always looking for new ideas and skills that I could potentially bring into my own classroom one day.
    From this course I hope to learn more about the different digital technologies that are available; I know about some but not many. I am immensely interested in learning about virtual reality and 3D printing. They have taken over the world and I would like to see and experience why. I would also like to really learn about the different things you can do with photographs. I have experience digitizing historical topographic maps, but I am interested in learning about other ways the digitizing process can be used.

sarahmolent
    Participant

While I was in HIST 2500: Canadian History, I remember that you had mentioned this new and exciting course. I had always been fascinated with the digital advancements within the world and decided that it would be a cool course to take while finishing up my degree. This course will also help me to develop my technological skills and as I go on to Teachers College, I would be able to use my skills that I learned in this course to help create lesson plans and websites for future students to use.

I will admit that I do not have a lot of experience with web design as well as digitizing, however I hope to sharpen my skills in order to allow me to become more familiar with basic computing skills that I can use in my future endeavours. I’m really excited to learn about virtual reality as well as 3D printing. I have gone to a VR playground earlier this year and I loved it. However, I would really like to learn about the creation of this technology and how it can be used.

elisagalloro
    Participant

I took this course because of the way Professor Kheraj described it back when I was taking Canadian History. Our world is constantly advancing with new and exciting technology and what better way to learn it than to create it. I am excited and eggar to advance my technological skills as well as grasp a greater understand of the influence digital media has on our growing world. Although i do not hold much skill in this department, I am hoping that this course will change that. This course presents a great opportunity to learn and understand so that in the future, I can incorporate and teach the next generation. I am looking forward to the upcoming weeks and the projects that await.

jasongray
    Participant

I took this course largely due to the description mentioning it touches upon public history, Professor Bonnell’s HIST 1040 was one of the most interesting classes I’ve taken at York. Additionally, studying how technology changes scholarship really appeals to me as I’ve always enjoyed studying technology. Less so from an engineering standpoint and more so from a historical and sociological standpoint. Technology’s impact on society and culture, and the resulting change it brings to different fields — how it transforms them and makes them become increasingly more interdisciplinary — has always fascinated me.

I’m hoping to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages advancing tech brings to scholarship, the new difficulties and dangers it introduces, as well as how public digital archives present and separate information (separating truth and fact from misinformation and propaganda, how to present it all clearly so it won’t require constant revision, etc.).

Sean Kheraj
    Keymaster

We will try to blend critical analysis of digital technologies with practical exposure to those technologies. For those who think they have few digital skills coming into this course, do not worry. You do not need to have advanced technical proficiency to excel in this course. What you do need is curiosity and a drive to experiment.

Justin Ross
    Participant

I took this class due to my history in public history, as well as my belief in the future that digital technology will play in the future of history education, and education in general. I know there are current issues with historians not willing to move on to more modern technologies (which I know from someone trying to introduce such a technology in their own classroom), but I can only hope with time that more and more professionals, historians, and teachers are able to incorporate future and current digital technologies to push education forward.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.